Oxford Gables Apartments has a long standing history in Indianapolis. Built between 1925 and 1927, the Oxford Gables was the premier apartment building in the expanding Meridian-Kessler neighborhood. Located at the time on the edge of town, the building was just two blocks from the final stop on the trolley line.
Built by architects Pierre and Wright, the Oxford Gables was built in a gothic fashion and constructed in a “garden apartment” style floor plan. The apartments were designed with large windows, large flowing rooms and ten foot ceilings to provide an airy open feel with pleasing views. One exceptionally unusual feature in all the apartments are walk-in closets which at the time must have been true luxury.
The property features a formal courtyard which at the time was no doubt a gathering place for visitors and residents. The southern facing courtyard collects the sun on colder days increasing the time residents could spend outside. The north side of the building, which is now our gated parking lot was originally a park-like lawn with a circular drive where many croquet tournaments were played.
Touring the property, one can see the numerous architectural details inside and out. It surely must have been one of Pierre’s proudest works. It was not long after its construction Mr. Pierre moved from his single family home just blocks away and moved into one of the most prized apartments on the top floor which features a formal marble tile entry, fireplace and custom wood paneling and bookshelves.
Today, the building is almost as it would have looked in the twenties. With the exception of newer more efficient windows and some other minor changes, the building still shines with original fixtures, hardwood floors, black and white tile floors in the kitchen and baths, beam ceilings and formal courtyard garden.